you would like to see modern photos of other Areas of Derby, Derbyshire
and the Midlands then click on the main index button at the bottom of
following text has been kindly provided by Erica Perry:
College school was once situated in between Uttoxeter New Road and Great Northern Road in the city of Derby. For a map of the exact postion of the former school click HERE.
Children that attended there throughout the 50’s until it’s closure in the 1990’s came from surrounding areas of Bedford Street, Parliament Street, etc, and along Uttoxeter New Road. Also from the Slack Lane area and even as far as Cheviot street.
During the 50’s & 60’s most children walked there and access was gained to the school via an alley leading from Uttoxeter New Road and also access was made from the alley was off Great Northern Road – This entrance led to the school playground.
The school was demolished in the late 1990’s and a new school building
was built on a new site nearby on Saint Albans Road and renamed the Bishop
Lonsdale School. The original site has now been rebuilt with a housing
01) Front view of College School taken in the early 1990’s before demolition. Shows the tall windows to each classroom. Also the downstairs classrooms had direct access through French doors to a narrow courtyard area.
02) Shows the back of the building and entrance from Great Northern Road.
Over the years the school had extensions built on to accommodate better
facilities i.e. indoor toilets. However, as you can see from the picture
they were certainly not in keeping with the original design of this Victorian
05) Downstairs classroom that was in the 50/60’s the first classroom/reception.
07) Downstairs school hall – Photo taken on the last open day when
old pupils were allowed to visit before the closure.
11) Upstairs end classroom – In the late 50’s early 60’s this was Mrs Salisbury’s Classroom.
12) Upstairs hall on the very last open day ever!
13) Nativity play
14) Mrs Sailsbury’s class taken summer 1962 – Taken in the grounds of the Teacher Training College.
15) College School Choir taken early 1960’s – They had taken part in a local school’s music festival
Click the button below to go to the main index of www.derbyphotos.co.uk