Photographs of Markeaton,
This page features photographs and historical information about the village of Markeaton.
| Markeaton Park is Derby's best known park, offering a range of facilities for all ages. Here you will find the Mundy Play Centre which has a crazy golf course, donkey rides, electric cars and a miniature steam train which tours the park.
The park was officially opened by the Duke of Kent in June 1931.
The lake was expanded in 1933-34, and was opened in July 1934.
Markeaton Hall was demolished in 1964 and replaced by a landscaped terrace. The Orangery is a grade II listed building and today it is used as a cafeteria.
The former stables are now home to the Markeaton Craft Village, which was set up in 1987. It consists of a number of individual units where visitors are able to watch skilled craftspeople at work, making furniture, pottery, etc.
Markeaton Park Light Railway
Annual Bonfire & fireworks display
To view large versions of any of the photographs below, simply click on a thumbnail.
© Andy Savage © www.derbyphotos.co.uk