Home > Derbyshire Villages > Hollington

Photographs of Hollington in Derbyshire, England

This page features pictures and historical information about the following:
Hollington village, This is located in Derbyshire.

If you would like to see photos of other Areas of Derby, Derbyshire and the Midlands then click on the main index button at the bottom of this page.
To view a large version of any of the photographs below, simply click on the thumbnail version and this will open a new full screen window into which the picture will load.
All images © Andy Savage & © www.derbyphotos.co.uk
If you have any comments for the guest book or questions to ask then use the link top/right.
Please wait until all the thumbnail photos have loaded before you click on one.

• Photos of Hollington, Derbyshire, England.
The tiny village of Hollington is set in a farming area close to which runs the Shirley Brook to the west and Brailsford Brook to the east.
The Red Lion pub is located on Longford road.

In 1086, Hollington was recorded in the Domesday Book; the name was spelt ‘Holintune’ at the time. The name came from two old English words, holeyn and tun, meaning The Farmstead where Holly grows. It was listed under the lands of Henry de Ferrers.

At the time of the Enclosure Act of 1817, Hollington was split between the parishes of Longford and Brailsford. The act marked the end of the open field system of farming, which had been in use in Hollington, up to the Act coming into force.

The soil in the area is good quality Keuper Marl, well suited to grassland farming and milk production and Hollington remains a predominantly farming village. Up to about 50 years ago there were 17/18 farms in the village, many of them quite small with only a few animals.
The economies of scale have led to much larger farm units operating in recent years. As the old farmers retired, there land has been purchased and combined with that of larger farms.

Before the 1950s when water was piped to Hollington, the absence of a good water supply was a handicap to farming. Previously most farms and cottages had to either pump water up from a well or obtain it from a rainwater storage tank. In dry summers, the farmers were particularly inconvenienced, when the ponds used to water stock dried up. They then had to drawer water from very deep wells, to satisfy the thirst of their animals.

In the 1870s a National School was built by the villagers in Hoargate Lane, complete with a bell tower and separate yards for boys and girls. A few years later, it became a Church of England School. The school was used for a number of activities and was the venue for Christmas Parties in the 1950s and early 1960s. The school is no longer in existence.

Hollington does not have a church in the village, but the parish records of Longford Church go back to 1538, in the reign of Henry VIII. Until near the end of the 19th century, there were five other villages in the parish: Longford and Thurvaston, Hollington, Rodsley, Hungry Bentley and Alkmonton.

The chapel built in 1847 was very well attended for many years. It held anniversary celebrations each year attended by all the children in the village, arranged annual trips for the youngsters and held a popular harvest festival. The chapel held its final service in 1992; three years later, it was sold and converted into a house.

Lodge Farm is a Grade II listed building, is the oldest surviving building in Hollington. It is over 500 years old and contains elements of a 15th century timber framed building.

The Millennium Day Celebrations took place on the 15 July 2000, and followed the pattern of the Queen’s Jubilee, 25 years previously, with additionally a village photograph, barn dance and hog roast. A number of other events were held, with the village fete proving to be the biggest fundraiser.

Hollington’s Story
An excellent book written this century by Marion Merkins, a comparative newcomer to Hollington, traces the history of this small village.

There are only three roads into Hollington, to the south is Hoargate Lane leading to Longford village. To the north is Marsh Hollow leading to Shirley village and the other road leading to Ednaston village. The local village post office is located to the south near Grove Farm at Hollington Grove.

For a map of the local area click HERE
Detailed map - Aerial photo map of Hollington, Derbyshire

I would like to thank Denis Eardley for providing me with some of the historical information on the village of Hollington.

Photo Description : The Red Lion pub
Image Reference No. : DP-280602HOLLINGTON-01
Date photo taken : 28th June 2002
Other Information : This pub is on Longford road
Photo Description : The Red Lion pub 2
Image Reference No. : DP-280602HOLLINGTON-02
Date photo taken : 28th June 2002
Photo Description : The Red Lion pub 3
Image Reference No. : DP-280602HOLLINGTON-03
Date photo taken : 28th June 2002
Other Information : Here we can see the pub and also the lane looking south from the village.
Photo Description : Former Primitive Methodist Chapel
Image Reference No. : DP-280602HOLLINGTON-04
Date photo taken : 28th June 2002
Other Information : This is
the former Primitive Methodist Chapel (now a private house), built in 1847. 

Click the button below to go to the main index of www.derbyphotos.co.uk

© www.derbyphotos.co.uk